They say that ignorance is bliss, and what you don’t know about can’t really hurt you. Well, this may be the case in some instances in life but not when it comes to protecting your loved ones in your own domain. There are dangers that lurk around the house and without knowing the circumstances; the warning signs can be easily missed.
- Mold – anytime there is continuous moisture, mold can appear and multiply in as little as 24 hours so be aware of dampness in basements, closets and bathrooms. Look out for dampness and leaks after a rainy day or melting snow. Mold can be fought off by using a dehumidifier in spaces that are prone to get excessive moisture.
- Dust mites – one of the most common causes of allergies, dust mites can hide in rugs, pillows, mattresses and sheets. And to keep them at bay, wash bedding and vacuum area rugs often.
- Medications – prescriptions can be super hazardous to little children that don’t yet comprehend the danger of ingesting something that appears to look like candy. So keep your meds away from curious hands (not on the counter or inside the night table).
- Cleaning products – good smelling and brightly colored cleaning products are particularly attractive to little curious children. Children under 5 are particularly vulnerable to ingesting cleaning products that can cause a variety of scary health problems. Like with medications, keep cleaning products and laundry detergents away from common areas that are easily accessible. Do not keep them under the sink or the faucet.
- Carbon monoxide – this is an odorless and colorless gas that is highly toxic. Its sources can be found in fuel-burning appliances like fireplaces, stoves, clothes dryers, water & space heaters. Watch out for headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue for signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.